Wednesday, September 2, 2009

How do we (as homo's) do gender? UPDATE

So we were talking in my gender and sexuality class yesterday about how people "do gender." Like if you wanted to act as a girl, you would have to do much more than simply dress as one. You have to be a girl "120%" of the time, in actions and body language and such.

So my question comes down to this. Since a lot of gay stereotypes revolve around being "femmy" is this really a useful thing for finding other gay men? Or is it intended to attract straight guys who react to such cues?

Just a curious question.

It sounded better when I was thinking about it yesterday.


In other news, I shaved my legs.

Soooo smooooth.


Also, today is the day that I'm determined to talk to logic boy, so expect a name by this afternoon.

UPDATE: I=Failure. fugly boy (the guy who was sitting next to me last time) took up the two seats next to him. He had his pack in front of the seat next to him and his glasses on the desk. It pissed me off. So... no name. yet...


I think that's all.



Matt




P.S. another question (from a different class). From a standpoint, point of view, where do we (again as homo's) fit into society and how does that change our perceptions of it?


P.P.S Sorry for the deeper questions, but get used to them as I am once again in the world of Acadamia.

P.P.P.S. Is anyone else getting a notice that there is an unresponsive script on my page? I think it's one of my counters. I'm considering getting rid of it because of this. Let me know.

8 comments:

  1. First, I don't get the unresponsive script message.

    Second, I don't call myself a "homo". Where I come from, it sounds so derogatory. Gay is fine.

    Third, I'm not usre I understand the question about gay stereotypes. Are you talking about "acting femmy" as being useful to the gay man, or as a useful tool in identifying other gay men?

    I don't know if acting "femmy" really applies to everyone. I for example, don't consider myself to act "femmy" at all.

    As for the other question, about our place in society, I'd say as a group we have been ostracised on the fringes of society for a long time, and only now are we being allowed to start taking a place in mainstream society, albeit grudgingly. I would view that like the fighting of a battle for equal status, not only legally, but in the eyes of our peers as well.

    The battle's far from over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straight men act more masculine and repress their femininity in order to conform to social expectations of how men should behave. As we move away from that world we are freer to express both sides of our personalities. So some of us act more femmy, some of us act more masculine. That's the freedom we have won.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I don't get a script message and stay calm I'm sure you will be able to talk to logic boy soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are essentially two types of effeminate gay men:

    Men who act effeminate as they think that's how they need to act to fit in.

    Men who act effeminate because they just are naturally more feminine.

    The former, I should think, would primarily be guys who've just come out and want to feel a part of something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with HCI and i think i fit into the former of his suggestions.

    But i'll add something more. While i was in the closet, i so desperately wanted to be 'out'. I acted, or was, for want of a better word, really 'gay'.

    And i think that's because i wanted someone to figure it out and release me from the closet.

    Of course as i know now, that had disastrous consequences. ^_^

    love

    PS. I love femmy boys. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I do not consider myself to act very 'feminine' (apart from liking to sit with my legs crossed, but my father does that too). Personally, I think that the 'femmy' gay stereotype' is rather inaccurate. You hear all these stories about how stressful it is to come out of the closet, yet it all gay guys were 'femmy' it wouldn't be that huge of a deal one would think? I think the really 'femmy' type gay guys get more publicity and have created an inaccurate stereotype about us.

    (IDK I personally don't think I could date a total flamer honestly)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with what most people have been saying, but I think Billy made the best point that I've heard so far.

    Gays do not have to worry about what people think about them. They can say "straight male" things or "gay male" things. Gays have to deal with some bad stuff, but there are perks, and freedom to say and do whatever the hell you damn please is one of them. You never have to worry about what people think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matt

    Gender I think you have to be women at the chromosome level to be a women. As far as where we fit into to soceeity well that is a multifavetted question, We tend to be more educated and prosperous, save more money and travel more.

    If you asking how soceity views us wel its getting netter in some ways but theere is a lot of hate out there still

    But if you looking at where we dit in its every every occupation and interest really

    so that is what im thiking today about yor questions what are your answers

    take care and be safe

    bob

    ReplyDelete