Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 2 - A Very British Morning

So the title... I have a very British professor. Peter Sluglett, even his name oozes with a sense of Anglo propriety.

He is my professor of Middle Eastern (or West Asian if you will) history. He has a rambling manner about him, a lot of "eh, erm, em, uh, eh y-you see, eh erm." I do quite enjoy his class though. I really should get to work on the first essay coming due in about 2 weeks. Oh well...

I also had my Latin American Civ class.

quick note: all of my history classes are these sort of broad survey type classes with an emphasis on modern history


Today we talked about problems that post colonial governments faced after their declared independence from the Iberian Monarchies. Cool stuff really, interesting to me at least. Maybe not so much to the cute boy that was sitting next to me though... haha.


In other news, I have been listening to the soundtrack to Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring off and on since yesterday, in particular just one part of it. It comes in the track entitled "The Breaking of the Fellowship." Apparently this particular segment I am in love with is called "In Dreams." It nearly brings me to tears when I hear it in the right setting. This morning I was at the bus stop; the way the clouds reflected the still hidden sun, as the most beautiful boy soprano voice pierced through the orchestration, I was nearly overcome. Ah I can't get over it. I have to say one of the most beautiful sounds in music is that of the boy soprano, it is beyond words.


Yesterday was my brother's 16th birthday, and as per the American custom, he was second in line at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles: A phrase the strikes fear in the hearts of those unfortunate enough to have experienced this prime example of bureaucracy at its most mind-numbing)to get his driver's license and unleash his terror upon the world.

So question to y'alls, especially those of you who live outside of the US, or even outside of the Western US: what significance do you place on driving? Does a 16th birthday hold any significance for you? Let me know your thoughts on driving in general.



Cute boy #2




Enjoy some tea for me all will you?



Matt

5 comments:

  1. i fucking love driving. for me its the best thing i do to relieve stress. its my number one favorite thing to do, jerking off being a close second. so there ya go.

    and so far your pics have sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt

    Wow I wish Dan commented on my blog :P good luck to you bro. What is your essay going to be about

    take care and be safe

    bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Ted... Should I take it down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. the ability ti drive leagally means, quite simply...Freedom

    ReplyDelete