Thursday, March 11, 2010

Well Hello There/A Different Post


I'm back!

That was a nice break.

I've decided to keep my blog rolls blank for now.

I'll keep in mind all of your suggestion though, perhaps I'll do something with them later.

Anyway. There's something I'd like to talk about.

Mediocrity.

Specifically mine.

In the final minutes of Amadeus, Antonio Salieri laments his lot in life as being merely mediocre, especially when compared to the great Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

I saw Amadeus for the first time in the 9th grade (I guess I was about 14 at the time) and it's had an effect on me ever since.

You see I realized something, even then.

I am only Mediocre.

In everything I do, I'm only a little above average. I never really shine in anything, especially when compared to other people I know. I guess I have really cool talented smart awesome friends that are all better than me in some way.

I mean, I'm above average in an above average amount of things. I do pretty well in school, I'm better than most people who just pick up a guitar and think they can play, I am a decent chef, better than many, I have a pretty good sense of style, and I'm alright looking.

But, I am keenly aware that there are people I know who are better.

Having this knowledge, I can understand why I don't take compliments well, because I know there are people out there that are more deserving.

I have at various times, embraced and rejected my mediocrity.

It's ok.


Anyway, this has been a glimpse into my crazy mind.

I think my next post will be in the same vein, a bit more serious than usual. Well maybe not serious... Oh I don't know what it will be.


For those of you who have seen Amadeus, I often find myself in Salieri's place.

"I will speak for you, Father. I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."


Matt

3 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,
    You live in Utah what do you expect? Its just a very mediocre state lol srry.

    I'm probably the opposite of you very good at some things and suck at others. My life is like a frigging roller coaster which can be very stressful. Sometimes I wish I could just be a normal, average person. So I guess what I'm trying to say is.

    The grass is always greener on the other side....

    It's an interesting post though even if somewhat mediocre... lol

    srry,

    Take Care,
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just recognizing what is mediocrity, means that you are not mediocre... by the way, don't forget that Salieri's biggest flaw wasn't his mediocrity, it was his jealousy... You sound interesting...hmmm tman<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel the same. i know im okay at fashiony stuff, but its nothing that really has any value. im good in school, and smarter than a lot of people at school but around my friends and other IB students(international baccalaureate some hard educational program at my school) i am so dumb and uninformed :/ and i just wish that i was better, like extraordinary at something.

    ive been thinking about this a lot recently too, because i asked to join my school's quiz bowl team and then i couldnt because i dont know the things necessary to be good in it, which is just like a broad range of knowledge. idunno lol it was just a reality check that im just mediocre

    ReplyDelete